Knowing how to retouch your images in Photoshop means nothing if you don’t know how to retouch your image in a wise manner. Feathering is an operation which can be used for softening the edges of your image. With feathering you can create a natural looking transition between your selection as well as the background. You can also learn How to use Color Replacement Tool. For softening the edges using feathering technique you have to follow these steps.
- 1st of all you have to make a selection for non-feathered images and for that you can use Elliptical Marquee Tool.
- Now once the selection is made copy it.
- Create a new blank image and paste the selection into new image.
- Now you need to choose Select→Modify→Feather. (Press Shift+F6 from your keyboard to select Feather.) You can also select Feather by right clicking the mouse button and select feather from drop down menu.
- A dialog box will appear where you have to type a value in Feather Radius text field and after that press OK.
- When you type in any value for example 25 and click OK the corners of your selection will be rounded.
- Now use the Move Tool and drag and drop the selection to a different image and here we can get a feathered image with soften edges.
- Now if you don’t like it you have to do the process again but my suggestion to you is to use Mask panel.
- Now make your basic selection and add a layer mask on the background layer.
- Click on the Add Mask button.
- Now drag the image which will drag the entire photograph and the mask layer.
- Now go to the Mask panel and use feather slide which will let you soften the edges with more control and flexibility.
Feathering result depends on the resolution of image which means images with higher resolution will have more fine soft edges than the ones with lower resolution.